Education in Carrick on Shannon
Scoil Mhuire, Carrick on Shannon
History of The Marist Girls (Scoil Mhuire) Carrick on Shannon
Scoil na Maighdine Muire or Marist Girls’ Primary School as it is known locally, derives its origins from a Catholic school for Girls and Junior Boys which was opened by the Marist Sisters on the 17-08-1873 in a three storey house in Main St., Ck on Shannon. On the opening day one hundred and fifty girls and two junior boys were enrolled. A staff of four Sisters with the help of Monitresses taught the pupils. Registers show that from the start the school was a state- aided National School providing free Education for girls and junior boys.
In 1887 a new school was built on the outskirts of the town. It was opened on the 12 April of that year with an enrollment of two hundred and thirty pupils – junior boys and girls up to standard Eight. The English Government gave a grant of £1,127 towards the building and the reminder of the cost was paid from local funds. The official name of the school was “Convent National School” and Roll number was 12940. The building and three classrooms, an assembly room which could be made into three rooms by means of folding – doors, cloakroom and out- door toilet facilities. The Monitress System gradually gave way to the Pupil Teacher System. Senior pupils were prepared for King’s Scholarship, entrance examination to Training College.
This building continued in use until 1953.