History & Heritage in Carrick on Shannon
Elphin Windmill, Carrick on Shannon
The only one in the West of Ireland.
Built in the first half of the eighteenth century reputedly by Edward Synge, who became the Bishop of Elphin in 1740, the Elphin Windmill is a Community Run, ‘Not For Profit Operation’. The Windmill was designed & built to grind oats & wheat into meal & flour for the local population. The Elphin Windmill was only used for about 100 years, before being abandoned sometime after the end of the Napoleonic Wars, as flour prices fell across Europe & in Ireland in particular & it was left untended for the following 160 years or so. In 1992, the derelict tower & site was donated to Elphin Area Community Enterprise Ltd, by Thomas J. O’Beirne & a project was undertaken to raise the funds to fully restore as a working mill under a FAS Community Youth Training Scheme. The Elphin Windmill was officially opened by International Hollywood Star, Gabriel Byrne on 22 June, 1996.
Opening Times: Open All Year, 7 days a week. Check website for seasonal opening times.